As you may have heard, there is a ballot initiative that will put sentencing reform before the voters of Arizona.
The Second Chances, Rehabilitation, and Public Safety Act initiative combines elements of several of the sentencing reform bills that were introduced – and supported by AFSC-Arizona – in the last couple of years, but were blocked from receiving hearings by the opposition or vetoed by the Governor. https://secondchancesaz.com/
The #SecondChancesActAZ will:
- Expand earned release credits from 1 day for every 6 served (roughly 15 percent of one’s sentence) to 1 day for each day served (50 percent) for people convicted of “non-dangerous” offenses;
- Restore judicial discretion in cases involving non-dangerous convictions;
- End the practice of unjustly sentencing people for so-called “Hannah” priors;
- Allow resentencing for eligible petitioners;
- And create a support services fund to reduce unaddressed trauma for crime survivors and first responders who suffer violent harm as part of their jobs.
We are in a sprint to the finish line. The initiative must gather 237,000 VALID signatures by July 2, 2020.
PLEASE HELP US BY SIGNING THE PETITION AND ENCOURAGING OTHERS TO SIGN.
There are “Democracy Drive-Thrus” happening every Saturday through the month of June around the state. At these locations, you can sign the petition, request a petition to take home to have your friends and family sign, and return and notarize completed petitions.
Sign the Second Chances Petition!
Saturday, June 6
|Mesa||The Nile Cafe||105 W Main St #7309, Mesa, AZ 85201|
|Phoenix||Arizona Democratic Party Parking Lot||2910 N Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85012|
|Tolleson||Fuego Bar and Grill||9118 W Van Buren St, Tolleson, AZ 85353|
|Phoenix||The Churchill||901 N 1st St, Phoenix, AZ 85004|
|Glendale||The Home of Marshall Militano||4916 West Joyce Circle, Glendale, AZ
|Tucson||United Church of Christ – Rincon||122 N Craycroft Rd, Tucson, AZ 85711|
|Flagstaff||The Historic Icehouse Porch on Agassiz St.||201 E Birch Ave #6, Flagstaff, AZ 86001|
Full list of locations is here: https://secondchancesaz.com/sign-now/
If you are in a rural area, can’t get to one of these events, or just want to collect your own signatures, sign up here: https://secondchancesaz.com/qualify/. The campaign will mail you a ballot and you can collect signatures wherever you are!
Please help spread the word—forward this email to everyone you think might be interested, post on social media, and otherwise promote these actions.
Thank you so much!
American Friends Service Committee—Arizona
103 N. Park Ave., Ste. 111
Tucson, AZ 85719