These are challenging times for all of us in many different ways, but Tucsonans are stepping up to help. At the Humane Society of Southern Arizona, more than 2,000 volunteers are practicing social distancing by walking our dogs and comforting our cats every day. We currently have hundreds of homeless pets at our shelter. With the puppy and kitten season right around the corner, we need to find homes for the animals living here currently to make way for those to come.
With many of us going into isolation, right now is a great time to adopt or foster a new best friend! The Humane Society of Southern Arizona is now closed to most public services, but we are open – by appointment only at 520-327-6088 — to adopt our adorable kittens, puppies, cats, dogs, and bunnies in need, to save lives and bring you light and joy as you hunker down.
A permanent loving home is best, but we are also seeking fosters for temporary placement as well if you would like to help us keep our animals safe and secure and share your space with a new friend who will be nothing but loving and grateful to you.
Changes during the pandemic
In order to assure the safety of the public, our staff, and our volunteers, while meeting the needs of the animals who depend on us, our public services have been changed as listed below, until further notice.
- Adoptions will be open to the public by appointment only. Please visit our website at https://hssaz.org/adoptions/available-pets/to find your future best friend, and call (520) 327-6088 to set up a time to meet them.
- Public spay and neuter services are suspended until future notice, and anyone with a current appointment will be called for rescheduling.
- Public vaccination services are suspended until further notice.
- We encourage voluntary owner surrenders to postpone until we are through the current situation.
- Certain other admissions services may be available by appointment only, call (520) 327-6088 for more information.
- The Humane Society Thrift Store will be closed for both shoppers and donations.
- Pawsh Park Place will be closed for both retail sales and adoptions.
- Dog walking and cat enrichment volunteers are still welcome to come to Roger Road whenever you can to help keep our animals happy and healthy.
- If you are a foster or want to become a foster to our shelter pets, we have work for you too! Call (520) 327-6088 for more information.
As always, our mission is to serve pets and the people who love them. Rest assured that our shelter animals will be well taken care of by the staff, and for as long as possible volunteers during this trying time.
If you would like to help support our mission financially as we are confronting reduced revenues from reduced services and donations, we would be grateful. You can contribute any amount here: https://hssaz.org/help/donate/
Please take care of yourself as well. If you feel sick, please stay home. Wash your hands, constantly. Practice social distancing. And be kind to every creature you meet – we will all get through this together.
Steve Farley is the Chief Executive Officer of the Humane Society of Southern Arizona — Helping pets and the people who love them since 1944. The Humane Society is at 635 W. Roger Rd. • Tucson, AZ 85705 • 520.321.3704, ext. 183 • hssaz.org