Mary Margaret (Margo) Cowan is a Pima County Public Defender. Today, she is looking for your help with Pima County Justice for All, a 2022 county-wide ballot initiative that strives to appoint an attorney for indigent families in Pima County that are going through deportation proceedings. She will be speaking on the history of this campaign, why it is necessary, and also how you can help us get onto the 2022 Ballot.
Register in advance for this meeting:
She specializes in criminal defense and immigration law, and has a Master’s in Social Work.
- She was Counsel to the Tohono O’odham Nation’s Chair for ten years.
- She served as Counsel to Congressman Raul Grijalva.
- She was a co-founder of No More Deaths in 2014 and of the Sanctuary Movement in the 1980s.
- She was mentored by Cesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta as a young organizer with the farmworker union.
- Ms. Cowan is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and is a recognized speaker on immigration law and policies.
- Since 2012 she has coordinated Keep Tucson Together, a project of No More Deaths, which is a legal pro-bono organization to stop deportations and assist Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.