As revised January 20, 2020
BY-LAWS OF THE DEMOCRATS OF GREATER TUCSON
ARTICLE I – NAME
The name of this organization shall be “DEMOCRATS OF GREATER TUCSON” (DGT)
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
- To provide a regular forum for candidates, office holders and any program which may enlighten, instruct, and in general, keep the members informed on current events and
- To foster and perpetuate the ideals and principles of the Democratic
ARTICLE III – POLICY
- DGT shall support the nominees of the Democratic Party in national, state and local elections. It shall continue to function in order to contribute to the growth and influence of the Democratic Party.
- DGT, as a body, shall not publicly endorse the candidacy of any Primary candidate, or in any other manner give its influence as an organization to the cause of any candidate or faction of the Party in any intraparty controversy.
- The foregoing shall not be construed to prevent DGT from commenting on or making recommendations on any public issue whenever decided by a vote of the Executive Board.
ARTICLE IV – MEMBERSHIP
Registered Democrats shall be eligible for membership.
ARTICLE V – OFFICERS, ELECTIONS, AND DUTIES
- Elected officers shall include President, First Vice President, Second Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and six members-at-large. Officers shall hold offices for one year or until their successors are elected.
- Appointed officers may include Sergeant-At-Arms and Parliamentarian, neither of whom shall be an Executive Board member. The President, in consultation with the Executive Board, shall make these appointments along with that of Historian.
- Officers shall be elected at the Annual Meeting which shall be the first meeting in December unless that date is changed by the Executive Board because of special circumstances. The new officers shall assume their positions immediately following adjournment of the Annual Meeting.
- At a meeting preceding the Annual Meeting (date to be determined by the Executive Board) nominations shall be made from the floor. Nominations may also be made from the floor at the Annual Meeting. A member may nominate himself/herself. Write-ins may be made on the ballot.
- The President shall appoint, with the approval of the Executive Board, three (3) tellers who shall distribute, collect and count the ballots, and report to the President. Elections shall be by an affirmative vote of a majority of those members eligible to vote who are present and voting, a quorum being present.
- Duties of Officers
- President: Shall preside over all Membership and Executive Board meetings; preserve order and enforce By-laws; be an Ex-officio member of all committees and perform such other duties as customarily pertain to the office.
- First Vice-President: Shall act in the absence of the President, shall be the Program Chairperson charged with the responsibility of providing a program for each meeting.
- Second Vice President: Shall act in the absence of the First Vice-President; shall be the Membership Chairperson charged with recruiting new members and shall contact continuing members who have not paid their dues.
- Secretary: Shall keep a record of actions taken at Regular, Special and Executive Board meetings; shall keep an attendance record of the Executive Board Meetings; shall preside at meetings in the absence of the President and Vice-Presidents. The Secretary shall attend to all correspondence for DGT, shall supervise the compilation of the Newsletter or all special mailings to the membership or other parties, and shall arrange for the preparation of the ballot for the annual election.
- Treasurer: Shall collect dues and be responsible for the safe and timely deposit of the organization’s funds; shall pay by check all bills sanctioned by the organization, shall keep accounts current; shall file timely reports to the Secretary of State; report the financial condition of DGT at each Executive Board The Treasurer shall keep a complete roster of the membership with the assistance of the Second Vice-President for Membership.
- Members-At-Large: Shall be members of the Executive Board with full voting rights.
- Sergeant-At-Arms: Shall assist the President in maintaining order when necessary, shall be responsible for arranging adequate and proper seating for members and guests; is not a voting member of the Executive Board.
- Parliamentarian: Shall rule on parliamentary questions when requested by the Decisions shall be governed by these By-Laws first, then by Robert’s Rules of Order; is not a voting member of the Executive Board.
- Historian: a member of the Executive Board, appointed by the President, to compile and keep an ongoing record of decisions made by the Executive Board.
ARTICLE VI – EXECUTIVE BOARD
- There shall be an Executive Board composed of the elected officers and six (6) members-at-large. The immediate Past President shall be a member of the Executive Board. The Executive Board shall constitute the governing board of the Democrats of Greater Tucson, and shall, in addition to other duties specified in the Bylaws, act as the general managing, supervisory, and administrative body of the Democrats of Greater Tucson between meetings. The President shall be the Chairperson of the Executive Board.
- The Executive Board shall meet monthly and at such times and places as the Executive Board may decide. The President, or majority of the voting members of the Board, may call a special meeting with at least 3 days’ notice to the other members of the Board. No proxies shall be allowed at the Executive Board meeting.
- The President may from time to time appoint such other committees as the President, the membership or the Executive Board may deem necessary or advisable.
- The membership shall elect the President or First Vice-President should a vacancy occur. The Executive Board may fill any vacancies that may occur among other officers of the Executive Board.
- Any member of the Executive Board may be removed following three consecutive absences from regular Executive Board meetings. The Secretary will notify the member if action is to be taken.
- A quorum of the Executive Board shall be a majority of the voting members.
ARTICLE VII – MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
- The Annual Meeting of the Democrats of Greater Tucson shall be held at the first regular meeting in December unless the date is changed by the Executive Board because of special circumstances.
- Special Meetings of the Democrats of Greater Tucson shall be held upon such occasions as the President and the Executive Board may specify. Notice of each special meeting shall be given at least 7 days in advance of the meeting.
- If voting is required, a quorum must be present.
ARTICLE VIII – DUES
- Annual dues shall be paid in the amount determined by the Board. The membership year begins on January 1st. Membership dues for the current year must be paid by November 15th to participate and vote in any matter put before the membership and in the Annual Meeting for the election of officers of the Executive
- The membership Chairperson shall contact continuing members who have not paid their dues.
- New members paying dues on or after October 1 shall be considered members for the current year and the subsequent year. They may participate in the Annual Meeting provided they pay their dues by November 15th.
ARTICLE IX – VOTING QUALIFICATIONS
- Members whose dues are paid by November 15th for the current year are eligible to vote on any matter put before the membership, to vote in the elections at the Annual Meeting, and to hold office in DGT.
- A delinquent member recovers eligibility and good standing for the current year at the time dues are paid, provided the dues are paid by November 15th.
ARTICLE X – EXPENDITURES
- DGT may expend funds for the purpose of a specific nature or in response to a specific request as follows:
- If for $300 or less by the President. The expenditures will be reported to Executive Board
- If for more than $300 with prior approval by the Executive Board
- Receipts for all expenditures shall be submitted to the Treasurer in a timely manner.
- All Executive Board decisions for expenditures of more than $300 shall be reported to the membership at a subsequent regular meeting.
ARTICLE XI – AMENDMENTS
This document may be amended by a two-thirds affirmative vote of the members present and voting provided that the amendment or amendments are submitted in writing at a prior meeting of the membership.
ARTICLE XII – QUORUM
A quorum for the conduct of general business shall be at least twenty-five (25) members presided over by an officer or member of the Executive Board.
ARTICLE XIII – ORDER
These By-Laws shall govern the organization and operation of DGT. Roberts Rules of Order shall govern situations not covered by these Bylaws.
President of Democrats of Greater Tucson Date
PO Box 41573. Tucson, AZ 85717 www.thedgt.org